It's good home maintenance to have your local professional cleaning services company in to give your cooker a really good deep clean each year. However, in between visits you can keep on top of things by cleaning your cooker hood filter yourself.
The filter's job is to trap grease generated as you cook on your hob. If the filter gets blocked, it won't be as effective, and this could allow greasy condensation to coat your kitchen ceiling and your other appliances. All that grease traps dust and dirt where bacteria can grow, presenting a real health risk to you and your family.
Cleaning the filter is a simple job that you can do yourself. Read on to find out more.
What you'll need
- boiling water
- baking soda
- washing-up liquid (a good quality brand with grease-busting constituents)
- long-handled scrubbing brush
- rubber gloves
- dish cloths or paper towels
How to do it
- First of all, put on your rubber gloves, and remove the filter from the cooker hood. You should be able to just slide or pop the filter out, depending on the design of your cooker. If you're in doubt, just check your manufacturer's manual for detailed instructions.
- Fill up the kitchen sink with boiling water. It's important that the water is really hot or the grease won't break down thoroughly.
- Add a ¼ of a cup of baking soda and a generous squirt of washing-up liquid to the water. Give the solution a good mix round with the scrubbing brush.
- Immerse the greasy filter in the water until it is completely submerged. Allow the filter to soak in the solution for a good 15 minutes to allow the detergent to get to work breaking down the grease.
- Next, give the filter a thorough scrubbing, adding more washing-up liquid to your brush as you go. Make sure you get right into the corners of the filter and that no stubborn blobs of grease are missed.
- Finally, rinse the filter thoroughly under the hot tap in your sink until all the soap has been washed away. Use clean dish cloths or paper towels to mop up as much of the water as you can from the filter, and then allow it to air-dry.
- When the filter is completely dry, slide it back into the cooker hood.
In between deep cleans by a company like SKG Pty Ltd, you can keep your cooker hood filter fresh by cleaning it using the guidelines given above. It's a good idea to include this job in your list of monthly household tasks.